How divers rescued the first 4 boys from the cave in Thailand

Adjust Comment Print

The ambulance drove toward a helipad, where a helicopter was seen taking off shortly after to the cheers of the crowd below.

Six boys have exited a flooded cave in northern Thailand where they have been trapped for more than two weeks, a senior member of rescue operation's medical team said on Sunday.

The first two members of a Thai schoolboy football team have been rescued from the flooded cave where they had been trapped for more than two weeks, a local rescue official said on Sunday. Operation chief Narongsak Osottanakorn said a total of 90 divers would be involved in the rescue mission, with 40 divers from Thailand, and 50 from overseas, including the United States, Australia, China, and Europe, according to the Washington Post.

It is anticipated the remaining rescues will take three or four days to complete.

Officials have said storms forecast for Chiang Rai province in Thailand's far north had factored into their decision to go ahead with a complicated and risky plan to have the boys and their coach dive out of the cave. A former Thai navy SEAL passed out while making the dive Friday and died.

"Our job is not completely done", Mr Narongsak said.


The rescue teams had rehearsed the plan for several days, Narongsak said, and had managed to drain the water level in the cave considerably, but needed to move fast.

Responding to a question on Twitter, the entrepreneur and engineering mastermind said "divers who have made the passage", believe the pod is small enough to fit through the most narrow portions of the cave.

Eight boys and their coach remain trapped in the caves, with rescue operations now on hold after the first entry depleted resources.

A short official video released by the rescue operation late on Sunday showed four ambulances with their lights flashing driving up the muddy dirt track that leads to the cave complex.

The boys, aged between 11 and 16, went missing with their 25-year-old coach after soccer practice on June 23, setting out on an adventure to explore the cave complex near the border with Burma (Myanmar) and celebrate a boy's birthday.

Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn had said earlier Monday that the second phase began at 11 a.m. and authorities "hope to hear good news in the next few hours".


But the mission was paused overnight for air tanks to be replaced.

It is still not clear how the boys will be rescued. Monsoon flooding cut off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for 10 days.

Four boys were recently brought out of the cave and transported to a hospital.

Their families have been informed and reportedly agreed with the decision to make the most of the opportunity to get the boys out before the forecasted monsoonal rain sets in.

Rescue crews found them deep inside the cave on July 2.

The Royal Thai Navy Seals also confirmed that yesterday's mission was over.


Comments