Philippe Gilbert Quits The Tour De France After Awful Injury

Adjust Comment Print

A chaotic 16th stage of the Tour de France has seen a number of leading riders left needing treatment for tear gas.

The publication adds that, according to competing cycling teams and French media, police used tear gas to disperse the protesters - but it ended up blowing in the face of the riders, which led to the race being stopped at the 187 km-to-go point.

Froome, race leader Geraint Thomas, and world champion Peter Sagan were among those affected by the chemical.

Tour de France cyclist Philippe Gilbert shook off a terrifying fall that launched him over the side of a stone wall in what was a hectic day at the race on Tuesday.

Martin pushes himself up the Col de Portet
Martin pushes himself up the Col de Portet

Froome, who had been aiming for a fourth consecutive Grand Tour victory after triumphing at the Vuelta a Espana last year and this year's Giro d'Italia, is now in a battle for a podium place.

The former Tour of Flanders and Liege-Bastogne-Liege victor was helped back up on to the road and given first aid before resuming the stage in the company of a group of frontrunners.

Thomas now commands a lead of two minutes and 30 seconds over Froome, the 2017 Tour de France victor, with only four stages to go.

Despite finishing around 9 minutes behind Alaphilippe, Thomas retains the yellow jersey, maintaining his 1 minute and 39 second advantage over teammate Chris Froome in general classification.

They blocked the narrow country road the cyclists were to cross by using tractors and hay bales.

Immediately after the F1-style start riders head straight into the mountains as they make their ascent up the Col de Peyresourde (1,569 metres).

He had been 57.2 kilometres from the finish and in the lead of the 218km-long stage at the time of the crash.

In the end it was British rider Yates who won the climb to Col du Portillon, and looked set to win his first Tour stage. They must be respected, they take enough risks for their job.

Quintana's victory came despite two early mechanicals on a 65km stage - the shortest road stage in the Tour for over 30 years - that was created to be explosive from the start.

His team said that after further tests at a hospital in Toulouse, the fracture was discovered, meaning he had to pull out of the race.