Two die in flooded sheriff's transport van

Adjust Comment Print

A Horry County Sheriff's Office van was swept away in flood waters Tuesday night near Nichols resulting in two female mental health patients drowning in the Little Pee Dee River, according to officials.

The families of two women who died while being transported to a mental health facility during Hurricane Florence are outraged at their deaths.

The incident happened in the area of the Little Pee Dee River, which branches off from the Lumber River, in Mullins, South Carolina.

"They were unable to do so", Thompson said.

"High water rescue teams arrived and were able to rescue the two deputies from the top of the van".

The deputies in the van were rescued and taken to the hospital, according to our source, but the patients were chained in the back of the van.

WMBF News reporter Patrick Lloyd was first on scene and saw a heavy emergency response presence that consisted of the Horry County Sheriff's Office, Marion Sheriff's Office, the National Guard, and many other agencies.

The van was carrying the detainees to a different facility in Darlington, South Carolina when it was overtaken by flood waters on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, a report in KOAA identified the victims as Windy Wenton, 45, and Nicolette Green, 43.

The two individuals being transported were confirmed dead by the Marion County coroner. "It's come up 2 feet since just last night".

Richardson said the patients' bodies were being recovered Wednesday morning.

More miles of northbound Interstate 95 in SC, just south of the North Carolina line, have been closed due to flooding from Hurricane Florence, the S.C. Department of Transportation said Tuesday. He said the deputies, Stephen Flood and Joshua Bishop, drove around barricades on the flooded road, and authorities are trying to figure out why. They were women who voluntarily sought help. Thompsons said his office would cooperate with the probe.

She said her mother was a trusting person who was betrayed by the deputies. Their names also yielded no records in the Horry County jail and court index systems.

Hershberger said that her mother was diagnosed with schizophrenia three years ago and took medication for the condition; a new therapist who Green visited on September 18, determined she needed to be committed to a mental institution. She posted multiple times about her struggles. At almost 7 p.m. Wednesday, State Law Enforcement Division spokesman Thom Berry confirmed the bodies had been recovered.

Speaking to the Associated Press, Marion County Coroner Jerry Richardson said, "They're both still under the water".