Bangladesh cricketers escape New Zealand mosque shooting

Adjust Comment Print

During Friday prayers, attackers entered two mosques in the city of Christchurch and opened fire on worshippers in what has been called the worst attack in New Zealand's history.

White said the New Zealand players were distressed by the mass shootings and they were trying to get the out-of town-Black Caps home to their families as quickly as they could.

Speaking about the same, ESPN's Bangladesh correspondent Mohammad Isam said,"They were just outside the mosque about to get off from the bus and go into the mosque when they heard shooting and a lot of people running out and they saw someone wounded in front of them".

The decision to leave for the ground was fateful, Mashud said, because the shooting continued outside.

"We want to play cricket and it is unfortunate this accident is causing us to pull out of this test match".

According to a spokesman, the players from all the teams are safe and accounted for.

"We must have been about 50 yards from the mosque", team manager Khaled Mashud told ESPNcricinfo in the video below.

"This is one of New Zealand's darkest days", Adern said.

"Then we all chose to leave the bus".

One man said the scene at the mosque was chaotic. "We will set a plan from now on to ensure proper security when our team will be on tour in future". "I've spoken to my counterpart at Bangladesh cricket - we agree it's inappropriate to play cricket at this time". "It's quite unbelievable really".

Opening batsman Tamim Iqbal tweeted: 'Entire team got saved from active shooters. "Frightening experience and please keep us in your prayers", he wrote. Another player, Mushfiqur Rahim, noted that the team was "extremely lucky" to avoid the tragedy.

"It was very sad, what happened yesterday was very unfortunate and the worst part was we were watching all those things happening".

Bangladesh were due to take on New Zealand on Saturday.

Coach Steve Rhodes said the squad were still in shock from the incident.

"As far as we know", the fatalities occurred at two mosques, New Zealand's Police Commissioner Mike Bush said.

"I would say the general reaction of the people of New Zealand has been one of surprise and shock".

The news conference reportedly ran overtime, causing the cricket team to arrive late to the mosque.

Pakistan still host almost all of their global matches in the United Arab Emirates due to ongoing security concerns. "Every team has to be alerted", he said.

Dozens of people are feared to have been killed in the attacks, The New Zealand Herald reported. They then went back to their hotel. The International Cricket Council (ICC) has also responded to the incident.