"I saw something that appeared to be insect legs, so I pulled them out under a microscope one at a time without damaging their bodies", he said while describing the moment he saw the bees.
The woman, whose full name was not revealed by CTS news - a Chinese news station - presented to hospital, assuming that she had an infection in her eye. After attempting to wash the foreign object from her eye, the woman began to feel severe pain, and her eye began to swell.
When Dr Hung looked at He's eye through a microscope, he spotted tiny legs of the bees in her ducts and feeding off the moisture and salt of her tears.
Speaking with the BBC, Hong said he suspected a gust of wind must have blown the bees into her eyes, becoming stuck, adding He was "lucky" to not have rubbed her eyes.
He yanked out a small bee, known as Halictidae or a "sweat bee". They are not usually aggressive and sting only if touched. Hung said they are attracted to human perspiration and are often found near graves, which is where he suggested the woman contracted the unwanted visitors in her eye.
Her eyesight was saved but she suffered cellulitis (a bacterial skin infection) and keratitis (inflammation of the cornea). Soon he extracted a second sweat bee.
The woman was pulling out weeds when the insects flew into her eyes, according to news reports. "If she did she could have induced the bees to produce venom ... she could have gone blind".
"Thankfully she came to the hospital early, otherwise I might have had to take her eyeball out to save her life".
The bees are still alive and have been sent to another organization so they can be studied.