12 Steps to Self Love
With all the self-help books and guru’s out there it can be tough to know who to believe. If you’re like me, you’ve probably tried a bunch of “great programs” but like all the rest they are all hype or fluff and no real substance, right?
Well then, maybe it’s time to try something a little crazy. Let me ask you this, who better out there to help you but yourself? Not one self-help program can tell you how to love yourself better than you can.
You might be wondering how you’re supposed to help yourself when you’re already so lost right? Well, my name is Kevin MacConkey and I’m the creator of The Daily Kickstand
& Kickstand Coaching, I understand your struggle. I’ve been through it and I want to tell you not to give up.
You can have the life you want, it only takes the desire to fix it, the determination to go after it, and someone in your corner to keep you pushing yourself. Wanting to change is only the first step and follow through is what most of us lack. That’s where I come in. My job is to hold you accountable and to help you get out of your comfort zone- believe me, nothing good ever happens there.
So, to get you started, I’ve come up with a list of 12 steps to self-care. I implement these same steps into my 21 Day Self Care Bootcamp Program that has been helping people to overcome a variety of maladies that hold them back and prevent them from reaching their goals. I want to do the same for you too.
12 Steps to Self Care
1. If it feels wrong, don’t do it: Never let someone talk you into something. Go with your intuition. Only you know what is truly right for you.
2. Say exactly what you mean to say: Most of us are too afraid to speak our minds. We say what we think will appeal to the masses. Stop it, you’re not doing yourself any flavors.
3. Stop people pleasing: Stop people pleasing and do what is right for you. By standing up for yourself, you will cultivate your power & will to be the best version of you.
4. Trust your instincts: If you’re uneasy about a particular situation, then trust your gut. Don’t be led into something that doesn’t feel right.
5. Never speak bad about yourself: Your self-talk is the number one reason for your self-doubt. Positive self-image is super important to success. Create an environment of positivity and love for yourself.
6. Never give up on your dreams: That thing you want so badly, it is within your reach. Know that it will be yours when you have prepared and are truly ready to receive it. Make a vision board of the things you want from this life, put it somewhere that you will see it as often as possible. Visualize every detail of the life that you want. Imagine how it feels, what it tastes like, smells like, and picture your daily routine.
7. Learn to say no: Along with people pleasing, being a yes-man or woman is detrimental to your self-care. Knowing yourself & your limitations are two life skills that are essential to proper self-care. It is ok to say no. In fact, sometimes it is imperative for our self growth.
8. Don’t be afraid to say Yes: Saying yes to the things we want can help us. Especially so if that yes is to something that we might be afraid of. Find the things that force you to stretch yourself and say yes, you can and will.
9. Be kind to yourself: No matter what it takes, be kind to yourself and nurture an environment of love within your heart for yourself as well as others.
10. Let go of what you can’t control: One of my favorite sayings is, “Let go or he dragged.” We’ve all held on to something that for whatever reason, is not healthy for us. When we hold on to things that are not ours to carry we may end up being pulled down to the bottom by them. If it’s not something you can change, then the decision is simple. Let it go & breathe.
11. Avoid the negative: Save the drama for your mama. No seriously, drama and negativity will only attract more of the same. Rid yourself of those people whom only cause conflict in your life. As you do so, you will notice that the right people & opportunities begin to enter your life. Soon, you’ll wonder why you hadn’t done sooner.
12. Love: Love often and without prejudice. There are many forms of love, experience them all as often as possible. If like attracts like, then love is the very thing we want to attract into our lives. So since love is free, and creates more- Sprinkle that shit everywhere! For real, EVERYWHERE!
There you have it. 12 simple steps to better self-care. I assure you, that no matter what you’re trying to change in your life these 12 steps will help you to accomplish it more quickly and more fully than anything else.
Remember, as The Beatles said, “Love is all you need.” It’s true and every good thing you’ll do in life begins and grows faster when tended with love. Science has proven that everything, from babies to plants grow better when loved. So, with that in mind- Why wouldn’t you as well.